Do As They Say
I’ve always had a little bit of a problem with authority. I’m not claiming to be a rebel, I’m just saying that taking direction and following rules isn’t exactly my strong suit. But when I saw this recipe for the Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich in Sauce Magazine, it specifically cautioned that ruining just one ingredient could risk the entire shabang. The combination of oozy eggs, crispy bacon, naan bread, smoked gouda, spicy Sriracha + mayo, and fresh heirloom tomatoes sounded too good to question. I may push the envelope from time to time, but I’m certainly not a gluten for punishment; I’d only be hurting myself by not obeying their orders. The egg sandwich, just as it was meant to be, proved to be an incredible weekend breakfast. This might have made a rule-abider out of me.
The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
What You Need
- 2 eggs
- 4 pieces of bacon or turkey bacon
- 2 pieces of Naan bread
- Smoked gouda - make it as cheesy as you want
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Heirloom tomato slices
What To Do
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a screaming hot pan. When the butter foams, crack the eggs into the center and let them set. Turn the heat down to low and let it cook until the yolk is still quivering just a week bit, about 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the pan to a plate and keep warm.
- Cook the bacon in a pan on low heat, flipping until both sides are crispy and golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate until ready to use.
- Place the cheese on top of the naan and place under a hot broiler for about 30 seconds, or until it gets hot and bubbly. Toast the underside of the bread in a hot, buttered pan for about 2 minutes or until crisp. Then cut the naan in half crosswise.
- Spread the mixture of mayo and Sriracha on top of the melted cheese.
- Add the cooked bacon, egg, and tomato slices to half of the naan bread and place the cheesy side on top.