National Taco Day
Happy National Taco Day!
I don’t know about you, but I welcome any opportunity to chow down on authentic Mexican fare. While National Taco Day may not represent a particularly important holiday, it’s as good of a reason as any to try a new taco recipe.
This Spicy Shredded Chicken recipe blows other chicken taco recipes out of the water, thanks to the homemade sauce consisting of fresh tomatoes, onion, red pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and spices. The sauce requires a few additional steps (beyond a recipe like this), but it’s well worth it for the fresh and authentic sauce that results. I already have the remaining sauce tucked away in the freezer, and I can’t wait for its next debut.
Spicy Shredded Chicken Tacos
What You Need
For the chicken
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breast on the bone
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 8-10 cups chicken broth, water, or a combination
For the sauce
- 5 medium to large tomatoes, any combination, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided in half
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (seeded if you don’t want it too spicy)
- 2 limes, juiced
- Handful cilantro, about 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
What To Do
- Place chicken with garlic, water and salt in a large stock pan. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes, until. cooked thoroughly. You will not over cook it in the broth or water as the water helps the chicken retain moisture as it cooks.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine tomatoes with onion, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp sea salt in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and allow to cook until the tomatoes break down, about 20 minutes.
- Remove tomato mixture from heat and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Once cooled add tomato mixture to a blender or food processor with the bell pepper, jalapeno, 2 garlic cloves, lime juice and cilantro. Puree until smooth.
- Shred chicken (it should just fall off the bone) and set aside.
- Add butter to a medium sauce pan and allow to melt over medium low heat. Return tomato mixture to the pan, add taco seasoning, salt, and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Place chicken in a medium sauce pan over low heat and spoon desired amount of sauce over chicken. I used about 1/2 the sauce to get it really moist and juicy.
- Once heated through, remove from heat and enjoy on corn or flour tortillas.