During the week and a half I’ve been in St. Louis, I’ve eaten more Greek food than I’ve had in probably six months. It has all been great, but now I need a change of taste. I’ve been craving Mexican in a bad way, so I turned to Cooking Light’s ”Best Taco Recipes” for something that would satisfy. The Ancho Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Avocado Cream were just what I needed. With the rich avocado cream, crunchy slaw, and authentically spiced chicken strips, the different components created a taco that was restaurant-quality. My only complaint was that I wanted more cilantro slaw. Note to self: double the slaw recipe next time.
Ancho Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Avocado Cream
What You Need
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 1% or non-fat milk
- 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
- 2 cups packaged angel hair slaw
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
What To Do
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with chile powder, garlic salt, and cumin. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan.
- Combine rind, 1 tablespoon juice, and next 3 ingredients (through avocado) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon juice, slaw, onions, cilantro, oil, and salt, tossing to coat.
- Heat tortillas according to directions. Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon avocado mixture and 1/4 cup slaw mixture.