I have a confession to make.
I did something realllly stupid.
Last week I forgot to turn off the grill after dinner.
I woke up the next morning in a total panic as I realized what I had done. You can imagine how relieved I was knowing I didn’t burn down my entire condo building. I wished I could have blamed this negligence on someone else, but there was no one to point the finger at but myself.
I had completely forgotten about this mishap until I went to make Grilled Vegetables and Chickpeas with Quinoa from Cooking Light. So here I was, vegetables already cut and ready to go on the grill, but my grill was out of gas. I had to improvise. Instead of grilling, I roasted the veggies in the oven; crisis averted. Though I think the dish would be even better with the smokey flavors from the grill, the colorful blend of delicious vegetables and seasonings were tantalizing enough. This just proves the adaptability of the recipe based on your cooking conveniences.
Grilled Vegetables and Chickpeas with Quinoa
What You Need
- 1 large zucchini (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large yellow squash (about 6 ounces)
- 1 small green bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1/2 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa or couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese
What To Do
- Prepare grill (or preheat oven to 375 degrees).
- Cut zucchini and squash lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place zucchini, squash, bell peppers, and onion on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove vegetables to a cutting board; cool. Chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces; place in a large bowl.
- If you are roasting vegetables in the oven, cut veggies into bite-sized pieces and spread out on a large roasting pan, toss lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 10-15 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Place in a large bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa and the next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon). Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add quinoa, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients except cheese to vegetable mixture; toss well. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.