Even with the strangeness of the 4th of July in the middle of the week, I managed to make the most of the holiday. With my office closing at noon on Tuesday, I got to spend the afternoon with my friend at the pool, followed by manicures and dinner at RPM.
Yesterday my husband and I were invited on our friend’s boat, which allowed us to eat, drink, and watch fireworks from Lake Michigan. We had quite the vantage point, with colorburst from the fireworks reflecting off the calm water and beautiful buildings surrounding us.
Although my holiday didn’t involve the usual BBQ, my summers are inevitably filled with them. I have the best Asparagus, Basil and Corn Salad recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking, that is sure to be a hit at your next summer BBQ. Charred sweet corn, fresh mozzarela, fragrant basil, and crisp aspargus, is simply finished with olive oil and balsamic. We made the salad with this amazing balsamic vinegar that we brought back from Italy, which made the salad that much more special.
Hope you had a great holiday!
Asparagus, Basil and Corn Salad
What You Need
- 4 ears corn, husks removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 cup mozzarella balls, cut in half
- 10 basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
What To Do
- Prepare your grill.
- Rub the ears of corn with butter and place over the flame, rotating every few minutes until the corn is lightly charred. Remove from the grill and let cool. Once cooled, cut off the kernels and place into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Trim the asparagus and then cut it into 1 inch pieces. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus for about 3-4 minutes. Remove the asparagus and douse with cold water to stop the cooking. Add the asparagus to the bowl of corn.
- To the bowl of corn and asparagus, add the mozzarella, basil, salt, pepper, balsamic and olive oil. Gently combine with a fork and serve.
- Can be served at room temperature or chilled.