Last weekend we got together with my cousins and two other extended family members. I had high hopes of bringing some elaborate new dessert to our gathering, but when the end of the week neared, I had spread myself too thin; there was no time for baking. Totally disappointed, I racked my brain for a quick and easy dessert that would still be somewhat impresive. Luckily I remembered Giada’s Chocolate-Strawberry Paninis that a friend introduced to me a few years back. The heavenly combination of melty Nutella and strawberry slices on toasted pound cake, served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, turned out to be the best back-up plan ever.
What You Need
- 1/4 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
- 12 (1/2-inch) thick slices pound cake (from 1 (10.75-ounce) store-bought loaf
- 6 fresh strawberries, hulled and very thinly sliced
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
What To Do
- Heat a panini grill or panini press to medium according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Spread the chocolate-hazelnut spread over 1 side of all of the pound cake slices. Arrange the sliced strawberries over 6 cake slices. Cover with the remaining cake slices, chocolate side down.
- Spray panini grill with nonstick spray and grill each panino until the pound cake is crisp and golden and the fillings are warm, about 2 minutes.
- Cut each panino in half and serve.