Tacos and Tequila
Not that I need a reason to eat tacos and drink tequila, but with Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, it’s a great excuse to indulge in some Mexican fare. I love this holiday because, for me, it symbolizes the beginning of warmer weather. Although I wore my winter coat a few times this week, by May 5th, I hope to be sitting outside drinking a margarita and eating chips and salsa.
When it comes to Mexican food, I typically go for something cheesy or saucy; but thinking about warm weather makes me crave something lighter, something like Cumin-Spiced Fish Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa from Cooking Light Magazine. This recipe was so light and refreshing with the flaky tilapia, sweet mango and tangy lime juice. I drizzled a little salsa verde on top of the tacos and they were perfection. I didn’t even miss the cheese!
What are you going to do to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
Cumin-Spiced Fish Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sliced peeled avocado
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled ripe mango
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Extra salsa (optional)
What To Do
- Combine cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika, black pepper and garlic; rub over fish.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add fish; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, avocado, and next 6 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon red pepper). Stir in jalapeño, if desired.
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions. Break fish into pieces; divide evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons salsa. Fold tortillas in half; serve immediately.