Yesterday my office held its Second Annual Cookie Bake-Off.
Since I don’t often pass up an opportunity to bake or sample delicious sweets, I was more than willing to participate in this delightful activity.
Early afternoon all employees gathered in the kitchen to attack the smorgasbord of cookies and treats that everyone had provided. Despite the sugar crash that ensued shortly following the event, it was a fun holiday tradition and a great way to snag some new recipes.
My contribution to the bake-off was Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies. I’d never made peanut butter cookies, so I was a little nervous about the recipes that only contained peanut butter, sugar, and eggs. The one I decided on is more like sugar cookie meets peanut butter cookie, which seemed less intense. Plus, dipping the cookies in chocolate and crushed peanuts meant that they already had enough going on. These made an attractive finished product, which makes them perfect for sharing during the holidays.
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
What You Need
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 oz Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- ½ cup finely crushed peanuts
What To Do
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, peanut butter and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Beat in both sugars. Scrape down side of bowl.
- Stir half of dry ingredients into mixture. Add egg, stirring well. Mix in remaining dry ingredients.
- For each cookie, roll 1 heaping tablespoonful of dough into a ¾-inch-diamater ball. Arrange dough balls 2½ inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Using the back of a fork, flatten dough balls and form crosshatch design on tops.
- Bake cookies until dry on top and golden brown on bottom, about 14 minutes – Don’t over-bake or else they turn hard!
- Cool completely on baking sheets 5 minutes. Using metal spatula, transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.
- Once cookies are cooled, dip half of cookie into melted chocolate, shaking off excess. Immediately dip chocolate side into chopped peanuts.
- Place cookies on wax paper to dry until chocolate has hardened.