When I saw the recipe for Chicken Sausage Brown Rice Stuffing with Celery and Mushrooms on Skinny Taste a few days ago, immediately I knew I had to make it.
Last night my friend and her boyfriend came over for dinner, so it was the perfect opportunity to try out the newfound recipe.
Although the recipe looked great to me, I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical given that so few ingredients are involved. Also, cooking for some men can be more challenging than cooking for women; I knew my girlfriend would enjoy it, but I wasn’t as convinced about my husband and her boyfriend.
Much to my surprise, the dish was a hit and everyone went back for seconds! The Sweet Italian turkey sausage made the food much more flavorful than I had anticipated. I added a heavy hand of Italian seasoning when sautéing the vegetables, which I thought helped with flavor. I loved how all the ingredients came together to make a satisfying and healthy meal.
Chicken Sausage Brown Rice Stuffing with Celery and Mushrooms
What You Need
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice (next time I'd use 2 cups)
- Water, amount according to rice cooking instructions
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 5 links raw sweet Italian chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 16 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning, optional
What To Do
- Cook brown rice in water and chicken bouillon according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, in a large heavy saute pan cook chicken/turkey sausage on medium heat, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks until the sausage is cooked through and is browned. Set aside in a separate dish.
- Add olive oil to the pan and add the onions, saute one minute, add the celery, salt and pepper to taste; add Italian seasoning to taste if desired; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, more salt and pepper if needed and cook, stirring 5 minutes, then cook covered for 2 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their juice and are cooked through.
- Add the sausage and the cooked rice back to the pan and mix well.